Monday, December 18, 2006

DORP + CASSETTE + BED ON BRICKS + LOVE JONES

Went to Burn on Saturday for a long overdue live music fix. The main band I wanted to see was Cassette and they didn't disappoint. But as per usual Durban did, with them playing to less than 10 people. But regardless they played an energetic and entertaining set which I SO enjoyed. Definitely my kinda band. The lead singer reminded me of a drunk uncle at a wedding, complete with a brown suit and crazy dance moves. The drummer looked almost identical to Jake Shears from the Scissor Sisters, with a full on red zip up jumpsuit. I like it.

Which gets me onto the next band, Bed on Bricks, the singer is from Landscape Prayers I think. I enjoyed their performance, but found it hard to GET them. A band should be treated like a brand, with a single minded focus - and I felt they were a bit all over the place. Surf shirts and jeans and takkies, mixed with funny dance moves and I swear at one stage he was almost rapping? I'm CONFUSED! Which is why I think jeans should be banned from the stage. If they made a bit more effort with their look, it would really hold everything together.

Love Jones (yawn) played next. Listen I'm not saying that they are shit, but they have enough screaming fans so won't be missing my love. I guess I'm still annoyed that Cassette played first. Love Jones should have played first. The End.

Dorp played last but by that stage my ears were ringing and I didn't stay too long. They sounded good enough though.

I guess it is a bit sad that as per usual, Durban just doesn't support live music. Whether its lack of classy venues, apathy, ignorance I'm not sure - but it's really ass.

2 comments:

Nadia Ox said...

Ahem. That be Sons of Trout not Landscape Prayers!

tors10 said...

Yes, disappointing. But I think it's also an organisational thing. I didn't know cassette was going to be in town. What works really well are the email/sms reminders BBB and Society send out. 4 days before, and on the day. Bed on bricks used to be sponsored by Levi's. I think they still might be. That's why they wear Jeans on stage. I had the same mixed message feeling when I first saw them 3 years back. But you couldn't wish to meet nicer guys.