
I'm always perusing the net, and for a while now, a few names kept coming up, I have found what I think are going to be the hottest shizzle in your music collection to date. I really think these peops are gonna be the next biggish things (unless they are already, and I am SO out of the loop). I haven't heard much publicity about them in SA, but I can tell you that they are in music stores currently. They are also on the top of my birthday list. (I might be with-it, but I'm still cheap.)
JOSé GONZáLEZ - VENEER All Music Guide calls it: "A striking collection of hushed and autumnal indie pop bedroom songs that reside on the hi-fi end of the lo-fi spectrum." Veneer is the debut album by Swedish-born minstrel José González… already a certified quiet-is-the-new-loud legend in his native Sweden. Who needs bells and whistles (outside of a forlorn trumpet and some subliminal percussion) when songs are this strong and the voice is this perfect? When all that you need to hold an audience in blissful rapture is what you can balance on a barstool? Jose’s sensual, sensitive, powerful vocals and supernaturally gifted guitar playing truly recalls artists like Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, Hayden, and Mark Kozelek. He’s earned the accolades by writing incredible songs and staying true to his heart, keeping the songs barebones simple.
The Guardian: "Magical… A supreme talent"
NIZLOPI - 'Half These Songs Are About You' is the debut album from British acoustic duo Nizlopi. Luke Concannon and John Parker play a simple blend of folk, pop and hip hop on a basic set up of acoustic guitar, double bass and beat-box. The single 'The JCB Song' is what got me onto them
Mojo: The most exciting hip hop, acoustic, double bass, JCB shit going down."
CLAP YOUR HANDS SAY YEAH - One of the biggest critical successes of the year, CLAP YOUR HANDS SAY YEAH is proving it can reach beyond the realm of critic darlings. With rapidly expanding commercial, specialty and college radio, sold out tour dates around the globe, and high profile television appearance s scheduled, this is going to be a fourth quarter must-have. And, the most impressive part of it all is that this band is doing it all WITHOUT A LABEL IN THE US. CLAP YOUR HANDS SAY YEAH is showing the music business how it should be done.
Q Magazine: "Behold! This Year's North America Rock-Art Phenomenon."
These are reviews are from da net so I'll have to give a personal review once I actually purchase and listen to these a few times. If you've heard of them let me know… Hey Al, Jose is playing in the UK at the moment, its your responsibility to go see him live. I dare you.
word.
No comments:
Post a Comment