Wednesday, March 21, 2007

soppy ex-pat supremo

Oh good grief.
It has been feckin' ages. I thought I'd jump back into things with a goodish dose o' swearage:)
Vanessa - thank you for being so patient and for the invitations to the bloggy thing here. It took me a while to work it out before, and there seemed to be technical problems for a bit so it was rather difficult. But then I tried again just this last week and it worked! Finally.

I haven't been keeping up to date with things at all, but I've been reading your (everybody's) postings over the last 2 days and I'm soooo homesick. I miss you guys. I miss your brains. Do you know that there aren't many people in the world who have such a beautiful, crazy, creative perspectives on the world? I've been living in the city of sin for a year now and the closest I can find to people who think along a similar vein are some of my students. Anyway.
But it's been awesome. No regrets. Will be going back again to do another year in May.
Coming home on the 3rd of April:))) so happy. God bless SA. ( Nothing is as soppy as an ex-pat coming home. Notice this, notice that it is true)

Okay. So if I'm in Durbs I can give you a ring and we all go out for drinkies, yes? If busy or otherwise occupied can well understand. But would be nice.
Hey, has anyone heard from Lee lately?

Now I'm going to go and hunt down some worthy-but-accurate pics to represent my silly mug and then this will look more professional.

10 comments:

noodle said...

Yay, finally another girl! I knew if I kept spamming you, eventually I would get results…

Hey, Splashy tickets won't be a prob - if Game is sold out of the cheaper ones, you can still get from Computicket or at the gate…

liam said...

Hey Gen, where you been hiding? Let us know more, people places...

True Van, but think of the extra stuff you could get with that money you're saving.

dale k said...

hey Gen - good to hear from you! look forward to hooking up :P

tors10 said...

Hello, I have reached the end of another catalogue. There is a god. This is getting a bit heavy hey! But there are a few other little thingies on the go...samples to follow. Anyway, just a quick 'hi' to say: I'm back. Hi Gen!

Paulo said...

Where would this city of sin be exactly?

Dean said...

Hey gen good to hear from you. Yeah, where exactly have you been?
If you get a chance send through a pic or two of your travels. Later!

SURSOK said...

sup gen? good to hear u alive an kickin. when you figure out this "sticky-my-own-piccy-on-the-bloggie-thingy" let me know cause i want a cool pic of me just like tors und dale.

genevieve said...

I've been in Bangkok, Thailand for the last year. I've been working a contract teaching English at a girls high school in central Bangkok. It's been awesome:)
I got along with them really well the first year, so I'll be going back next year to teach the same students. This year they'll be 15 and 17 years old.

My classes are about 30 students at a time, but they're not like we were at school (if your classes were anything like mine). A lot more respect for teachers, for authority. But they do do what they want to do. They talk a LOT, they're on their phones a LOT, they obsess about South Korean and Japanese boy bands a LOT. And they're always reading comics when they should be focusing on my stuff. But they're really sharp and already have a pretty good knowledge of English as it is, so my job is actually a pleasure at the end of the day.

The team that I teach with isn't too bad either. If you recall me going on about how awful the yanks on the cruiseships were, this year has been a lesson in karmic balance.
The Americans on our staff here are really cool. We have a few English people. One Welshman. A German and a French man. They're all a little dotty in their own unique way, but very cool to work with.

Social life is interesting. Nightlife rocks, but the latest any place stays open is 2am:/ There are many ex-pat farang living here. (Farang is the Thai word for foreigner). I've made some interesting friends - people I could only meet here and nowhere else:)

Hmm. The food! It is cheaper to eat at small, informal restaurants and food stalls than it is to buy groceries and cook your own food. This is marvellous. And I have no problem eating rice/noodles with whatever all day long so I am very happy with the food here. Bit hot, but that's nice.
And that's all I can think of that would still be interesting. More coming...

genevieve said...

Yes! How do you attach your photo to the post?
I think I may be becoming more technologically-challenged with age...
Help the dinosaur.

noodle said...

Heck Gen, that comment could've been a post…

I could so do with some thai street food right now.

The blogger Help explains how to add a pic to your profile, but I will email you the details. It will help if you have a online photo hoster (like Flickr)